Estonia deploys navy to protect undersea power cable
Estonia has deployed its navy to protect an electricity cable on the seabed between Estonia and Finland. The country hopes to “defend and secure the energy connection with Finland”, says Estonian Foreign Minister Tsahkna.
Last Wednesday, another power cable in the Baltic Sea was damaged, along with a number of internet cables. The Finnish authorities are now investigating the incident: the country suspects Russia of damaging the cables. Finnish Prime Minister Orpo said this morning that the incident was “clearly sabotage”.
‘Attacks on our essential infrastructure’
If the submarine infrastructure is threatened again, Estonia will respond, according to Minister Tsahkna. According to him, the damage should be seen as “attacks on our essential infrastructures”.
NATO is also going to expand its military presence in the Baltic Sea, Secretary General Mark Rutte writes on X.
Rutte says he spoke to President Stubb of Finland about the investigation into the damaged cable. He emphasized his “solidarity and support” to Stubb.
Bulk carrier
Last month, two data cables were also damaged in the Baltic Sea. One is between Finland and Germany and the other between Sweden and Lithuania. The cause of the breaks has not been clarified, but the main ‘suspect’ is the Chinese bulk carrier Yi Peng 3.